Thursday, January 22, 2009

Sputter Sputter

It has become apparent that my new year’s ‘revolution’ to blog 30 times in 30 days, has become more like a new year’s rev... sputter... sputter and die.

Well, I tried. But, I refuse to see it as a failure. I took a risk, and learned that it was more adventurous than my life and commitments would allow. After bemoaning about this a freind wrote me recently:

All of us zone out sometimes; we can’t do/be the kick-ass activists we usually are at this moment. We don’t stop our activism cuz of this temporary snaffoo. Let’s stop this guilt-tripping and realize sisters and brothers will pick up our slack as we do gladly for them. It’s one more step in building viable community.

It is what I love about being part of the community of people with disabilities. I don’t have to explain, or justify, convince my brothers and sisters with disabilities. They care as much about me and I do them.

I have fibromyalgia pain and chronic fatigue. It is one of those disabilities that the world sometimes calls a cover up for laziness, a lack of motivation or that it is just make believe. People with invisible disabilities will know what I mean when I say that you know for sure when people think that about you. You can see it in their eyes.

But, I have grown accustomed to their looks and can overlook them. Mostly because I belong to the most accepting, most understanding and least judgemental minority community in this land. I have never run into a person with a disabilty who is racist or homophobic; there are a few but not many.

Even though I only revved, I feel very successful.

2 comments:

Jimmy Higgins said...

Hey, BN, no apologies. Ya done good.

Among the accomplishments of your New Year's rezzy run were increased readership, more comments (one fucking hard thing to do on a blog), podding Magitator out of his lengthy sluggishness. Plus which, believe it or don't, yer example reminded me that I'd been letting Fire on the Mountain [firemtn(dot)blogspot(dot)com] languish a bit, which I have taken steps to rectify. Not sure you'd consider that an accomplishment, but still...

And meanwhile, please keep posting! If you average, say, once a week for the rest of the year, that's 48 more posts we have to look forward to.

Jessica said...

Big Noise, I agree with Jimmy. You've insipred me too. I'm strongly considering inflicting my views on the world through my very own blog. My husband thinks its a ploy for me to get a new lap top, but it isn't. It's actually your fault.